Don't Let mold get you down!
Bathrooms and basements are habitually moist areas, vulnerable to mold growth, any moist area in the home can become affected. The below are examples of areas in the home that can breed mold if the ideal growing conditions are present.
- Ceiling Tiles
- HVAC ducts
- Below Sinks
- Areas around pipes
Mold can be seen in many different colors (ie. brown, green, and black) and often times appears as spots. Additionally, a musty odor may be present. While it is impossible to eliminate all mold spores in an indoor environment, the mold spores will not grow in the absence of moisture. Thus, controlling moisture is the key to preventing mold growth.
Remember the following:
- It's important to identify and repair water problems, such as leaks in plumbing or other structures that may lead to moisture buildup.
- Clean and dry areas of any leakage and water damage in the home within the initial 24-48 hours to prevent mold problems.
- Use of an air conditioner or air dehumidifier during humid seasons can help reduce the potential for moisture buildup.
- Avoid the use of carpets in humid basements and bathrooms.
- Using fans and maintaining good ventilation in the home can also improve indoor air quality and help prevent or control dampness.
- Add mold inhibitor products to household paints.
- Keep indoor humidity levels low (ideally between 30%-50%).
- Use bathroom fans or open bathroom windows when showering for air circulation.
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers and stoves, to the outdoors when possible.
- Adding insulation can reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (such as windows, piping, roof, or floors).
Please call us today, SERVPRO of Kingsport / Bristol 423-245-5552 to schedule a mold inspection.